Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) involves a set of unhappy symptoms associated with hormonal changes. Some people experience debilitating PMS, while others experience few or no symptoms. The difference is not due to luck or chance, but is due to the fact that some people’s food choices, toxin build-up from the environment, genetic factors, and lifestyle choices are different. If you struggle with PMS, it doesn’t mean you’re broken or need to be on medication to find relief.
The most important thing to understand is that you can balance your hormones naturally and overcome symptoms of PMS!
That’s why I’ve written this important guide: so that you can reverse PMS symptoms in the most effective ways possible.
The following suggestions work for most people. If you are having a hard time implementing or want further support or guidance, don’t hesitate to set up a $19 consult and Hormone Symptoms Review Consult from our Functional Medicine practitioner, Beth Meneley.
Here are the steps to overcoming PMS:
1. Optimize your Diet
Hormones are controlled by foods you eat. Certain foods promote healthy hormone production and eliminate PMS, while other foods promote imbalanced hormones and create PMS.
Balance Your Blood Sugar
Eat protein for breakfast such as pastured eggs, grass fed beef or liver, protein shake or nut butters. Don’t skip meals. This will cause your blood sugar to drop. Especially in the premenstrual phase, eat every few hours.
Eat Real Food
Processed foods, refined flour and sugars can all throw off your hormones and deprive your body of an opportunity to eat nutritionally.
You need adequate fiber to help toxins move out of your body through your stool: vegetables and fruits are the best examples. Add two tablespoons of ground flax seeds to your day and you can even add some toxin binders such as activated charcoal or bentonite clay.
Increase Omega-3 Fats and Decrease Omega-6
Eat wild fish like sardines, Alaskan salmon, and healthy eggs. Avoid animals that are fed corn, soy or grains (conventional non-grass-fed), especially if they are not organic. Eating healthy fats such as grass fed butter, coconut oil, ghee, olive oil and organic grass-fed meats help boost proper hormone production. The wrong kind of fats, high in omega 6’s, can interfere with hormone production, create more inflammation and signal unhealthy cellular mutations. Polyunsaturated fats are highly unstable and oxidize easily in the body. When they bad oils are incorporated into cells in reproductive tissue, they can contribute to cramping, endometriosis and PCOS.
Eat organic food and Avoid Toxins
Glyphosate and other pesticides are endocrine disruptors and will alter your hormones and are a major cause of PMS. It is difficult to limit exposures to pesticides, plastics, household chemicals and processed foods unless you know what to watch out for. We highly recommend you watch our webinar at www.fxwellness.com/toxins.
Limit Caffeine and Alcohol
Caffeine and alcohol can interrupt normal metabolic pathways and tend to cause hormonal disruption. Eat food with your coffee and try to limit coffee to once a day at most. Limit alcohol to a maximum of one drink per day, three times a week or less.
Take the Right Supplements
The right supplements will help optimize your biochemistry and methylation for optimal hormone function. Additionally, certain supplements have been scientifically shown to improve PMS symptoms. Below is a list of the favorites we use with our Tao of Venus clients. Depending on the severity of symptoms, you may need to take more or less of these. You can order a personalized Tao of Venus DUTCH Hormonal Assessment to determine the best options and dosage.
Supplements to try that may help with PMS symptoms.
- Multivitamin without Folic Acid but with Methylfolate
- Omega 3 fats- EPA/DHA- 1,000 mg once or twice a day. Twice a day to help with inflammation and mental clarity
- Evening Primrose Oil- 500 mg twice a day
- Magnesium Citrate- 400-600 mg a day
- Calcium Citrate- 600 mg a day
- Vitamin B6- 100 mg a day
- Vitamin B12- 1000 mcg
- Vitamin D3- 5,000 IU a day
- Maca- Start with 1 teaspoon a day after ovulation until menses
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea: one cup a day for cramping and PMS relief.
- Detoxification of Liver:
- Glutathione- 400 mg a day
- Dandelion root or Milk thistle
- Taurine- 500 mg a day
- Progesterone support
- Chasteberry fruit extract, also known as Vitex: regulates progesterone. 100-200 mg twice a day.
- Or Natural Progesterone cream: 20 to 40 mg at ovulation for a day or two before your expected menstrual cycle.
- DIM: Helps the liver to detox synthetic estrogens.
- The Chinese Medicine formula Jia Wei Xiao Yao San is amazing at regulating your cycle and ridding PMS symptoms.
- Probiotics: 10 billion a day to reestablish healthy gut bacteria for improved estrogen metabolism.
We know the list is long and everyone is different. You don’t need to take all of these. If you need further guidance on where to start, fill out the medical symptoms questionnaire and schedule your 15-minute consult with Beth Meneley to get started for only $19.
Movement and Breath
The body needs to move blood and oxygen to regulate hormones. Exercise balances blood sugar and balances hormones. Ideally, get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 3-5 times a week.
Stress alters hormones negatively. Stress increases cortisol and creates a depleting hormonal pattern known as “pregnenolone steal.” This depletes progesterone and creates estrogen dominance along with intensified PMS symptoms. There are many simple techniques you can fit into your lifestyle such as mindful breathing, meditation, yoga, dancing, and hot baths. Acupuncture and massage will also reduce stress.
How to Overcome PMS
The above recommendations are based on thousands of cases of PMS we’ve seen over the years. They work for most people. However, we understand that most people will fail without further support because they encounter roadblocks including:
- Difficulty implementing lifestyles changes. Tao of Venus offers lifestyle training to help you start and maintain hormonally healthy habits. We’re here for you. We highly recommend the $19 Hormone Symptoms Review with Consult through Beth Meneley.
- A more challenging case that requires professional testing. Tao of Venus offers theTao of Venus Comprehensive Hormone Assessment with Interpretation (the Tao-CHAI) to pinpoint your specific areas of imbalance and fast-track your hormonal healing.
- We also offer full functional medicine consulting services with a detailed case review for those in need of advanced healing support. We can order from a full suite of functional lab testing for deep, personalized insight into your digestive health, toxin and heavy metal levels, mycotoxins, infections, mitochondrial health and more. Testing can be done on stool, urine, and blood, often in the comfort of your own home and your results retrieved electronically.
Tao of Venus is dedicated to helping you overcome PMS. We offer various services designed to help you get rid of PMS symptoms by eliminating any roadblocks you may have. Whatever your needs are, we encourage you to set up your Initial Symptoms Review with consult with Beth Meneley for only $19 to start your healing path.
Click below to order your Medical Symptoms Review with Consult: